Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Last Night in Wellington

It's almost 10pm and I am leaving for the South Island tomorrow afternoon. I was going to go this afternoon but when I got up this morning my gout was almost gone but enough for me to know if I pushed it today I was risking a flare up. So I stayed in Wellington again today, I was able to find the filter I have been looking for. The 18% gst (general service tax, I think) kills me on everything, and there is no way I can get that back unless I buy something and ship it out of the country or some crazy thing like that. Most places advertise including the gst which makes things less shocking when you know it is included. But I was happy to find this filter, it is mainly just to protect the lens glass it is worth paying more for it here.

Tomorrow I will be staying in the town I get off the ferry, Pictin. From what I have been told the chance for photos are good on the ferry ride. I am also taking the cat boat ferry which gets me in 30 min faster than the normal ferry. The weather is going to be nice again for the next few days, I will then figure out which direction I will go. I also have to look at time frames with my rental car and if I have to extend my rental or can I get to everything I wanted in the time remaining on the rental. These are the issues that keep me awake. Well not really the things that keep me up at night are the heartburn from the food. No I'm just kidding about the heartburn but not about the food, it realy is quite strange. I don't know maybe it's just me, I know I have a strange taste palette. Must stop rant now. My Irish hitchhiker told me about the northern point of the South Island, Farewell Spit I think. That will depend on the weather. I am going to talk to as many people as I can to find out which is the best coast to travel down, the east coast and the Pacific Ocean to your left or the west coast and the Tasman Sea to your right.

I have picked up a book on Capt. James Cook. He is quite an interesting fellow. Janet had a good book about him I started before I left before I left for the trip, but had to leave for Dad to read. ( J - if you can, bring the book just in case I catch up with you guys in Auckland, which is looking good at this point.) I will let you know if it is worth a read. Speaking of reads I read "State of Fear" by Michael Chriton (sp?) I was a good read on envoirnmental issues. Stopping this tangent now....complete

Sorry about that pause, which you will never know about unless you read this but I digress as I address the issue of an empty pint glass. Now fixed and ready to move on. Yeah thats a good idea move on. So until later, ... um later.

No comments: